Friday, December 4, 2009

Something a little different



I know I usually write about food, as that is what this is all about, but I thought I would share a different experience with you:


Nare Café- (602 Seneca Ave.- 347-294-4739)$, Great for Groups, BYO Wine:
For months I had been wondering when or if there would be nightlife in my neighborhood of Ridgewood, Queens.  Happily, I report that slowly but surely one is emerging.  I went to the tiny but cozy Nare Café, a dark and heady hookah and tea bar that was previously in Manhattan but shut down due to underage drinking.  What I found was mood lighting, loud music, and fantastic service. I went with friends and we asked for two hookahs - one mango and one cantaloupe, out of the 20 flavors to choose from.   The hookahs, which seemed never-ending and are the unbeatable price of $7, appeared with a teacup filled with soapy water and a bubble wand.  Sam, our server, showed us how to create gigantic smoke-filled bubbles.  They were the nights greatest hit.   Our server constantly came and replaced our coals while making small talk about the area and their new location.  We had brought our own wine and he opened it for us for free, though said that after the first time there is a $10 corking fee.   As the night and the smoke seemed to be ending, Sam reached our table with one more hookah, on the house.  We chose coconut, my favorite of the evening, and settled back into our carved wooden benches for more conversation, exhalation, and bubbles.   M-R 4 pm to 2 am.  F-Sun 4 pm to 4 am.

No comments:

Post a Comment