Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Mexico in Buenos Aires...tsk tsk.





When I think of American food I think of, well, Mexican.  Burritos, fajitas, quesadillas, anything smothered in sour cream, cheese, and salsa.  Between the endless chains and small "authentic" Mexican restaurants (I am not including Taco Bell in this category), I think American's could teach Mexican's a thing or two about their own cuisine.  Ok, not really, but we could definitely teach those in Argentina what (our) Mexican food is all about.  
(guiaoleo.com.ar)

I went to El Salto de las Ranas (The Frogs' Leap) here in Buenos Aires last night and I was completely underwhelmed.  There was a 5 peso silverware fee on top of the ridiculous prices.  I ordered the quesadilla con hongos (mixed mushroom quesadilla) and it came out as two little soft taco type things the size of my palm.  With no sour cream, no salsa, nada.  They tasted well enough, but cost 10 pesos and were gone in 10 seconds.  I also got a cazuela de guacamole (guacamole in a terra cotta pot).  The guacamole was average, leaning on the side of pretty decent.  But it came with a spoon.  I have always thought of guacamole as a dip instead of a soup.  Guacamole soup (?) 12 pesos.  
Now, I may sound cheap when I say that this was expensive but to be fair the portions were just too small and strange.  And the service was slow and unfriendly.  To be fair, the place itself was dramatic and colorful and had a chandelier made of corn stalks.  Perhaps I ordered incorrectly, but most other items on the menu were in the 50 peso price range.  If you would like to find out for yourself and (hopefully) prove me wrong: Rodriguez Peña 1164 - Ciudad de Buenos Aires Tel: 4811-2635

2 comments:

  1. anyway... deberiamos habernos pedido fajitas...
    nuestras quesadillas si que eran una tristeza, te corrijo, nuestra palma de la mano les quedaba grande jajaja
    te quiere,
    your niece,
    lu

    ReplyDelete