Thursday, December 3, 2009

Olea Mediterranean Tavern



(image from flikr.com)

First, let me start out by saying that I love tapas.  I am one of those people that usually ends up with food envy.  I look at the menu and there are (usually) three things that I can't choose between.  I used to ask the server to just pick between those three and surprise me, but the (not so surprising) result was always the most expensive dish.  Enter: tapas.  A little bit of everything that I want to try, without the depressing emptying of my wallet or my rolling on home.  A few tapas, a little wine, and I couldn't be happier.  So without further ado, I introduce to you Olea.  

Olea Mediterranean Tavern (171 Lafayette Ave in Fort Green, 718-643-7003, oleabrooklyn.com) $$- I went the first time with a few friends that had recently fallen in love with the place.  I, the converted, loved it so much I took my boyfriend there for his birthday.  It is warm, romantic, and small enough to feel personal without being cramped.  In other words, we could hear each other speaking.  The service was very much above average the first time, and average leaning towards good the second.  
I (in between both visits and sharing) tried the oysters (East and West coast), falafel-crusted artichoke hearts with eggplant, grilled baby octopus, lamb meatballs with feta and tomato sauce, asparagus, sirloin steak, crusted salted cod, swiss chard, and orange creme brulee for dessert.  The artichoke hearts, lamb meatballs, and the swiss chard were my favorites, though I recommend everything I tried.  The baby octopus was a bit bland but fine, and the salted cod needed to be kept in better company than olives which made it just too salty, but overall everything was sauced well, flavorful, and perfectly portioned.  The wine list is not particularly inspired, and they did not have the wine I ordered either time, but the beer list had my boyfriend downing one so he could try another.
The atmosphere itself is reason enough to go.  Try and go either for an early or late dinner, because there are no reservations for parties of less than five, and as the place is small it tends to fill up quickly.  Or go for brunch.  I think the best way to go is checking it out during "Happy Happy Happy Hour" where mostly everything is about half off (tapas are $3-$7 otherwise).  Look on their website for more details about special and regular events, like Spanish Fridays.  

No comments:

Post a Comment